Friday, February 25, 2011

World Affairs

I have been writing this blog since the beginning of the year.  In that time the world has watched as Tunisia and Egypt achieved a remarkable revolution, Bahrain and Morocco are still engaged in their struggle, and Libyans continue risking their lives to achieve independence from a disengaged and cruel dictator.  We are riveted to the television, watching helplessly while the news media feed us bits and pieces of information from these countries and their borders where we learn more and more about the courageous and often destructive struggles.  In the meantime, I am writing about my dog, my kitchen, my yard, my retirement.  Somehow in the total scheme of things, my life’s adventures seem utterly insignificant.  

While I acknowledge the sharp contrast between the world outside my neighborhood and the security of my home, my library, my friends and family, this is my world—for the moment.  My heartfelt sympathies lie with the mothers who want their children to grow up in a country without oppression.  These are women who want their daughters to be educated and their sons to embrace a gentler life without fear of confrontation.  I will continue to watch and listen and wait and hope for them.

1 comment: